Friday, March 12, 2010

Fishy Friday's

Last year during lent, I'm pretty sure we had fish sticks and salads for dinner every Friday. I have no problem with fish sticks, but I wanted to get a little more creative this year and explore a few different recipes. Here are a few that we loved:

1.) Pasta Aglio e Olio- You can never go wrong with Italian. I've found that the key with cooking italian is fresh ingredients and knowing how you want them to taste. Sometimes red sauce gets a little boring and this recipe is great for mixing it up. Aglio e Olio is very simple, it literally means oil and garlic.

First cook pasta al dente. Then, put the olive oil and the garlic in a large skillet over a medium heat. When the garlic begins to change color, you can add parsley, red pepper flakes, or salt  to your taste. Be sure to stir well and remove from heat. When the pasta is cooked, return the skillet to a low heat. Next, drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Toss until the pasta is well coated with sauce. To add a little to the recipe, I also sauteed onions, mushrooms, artichokes, and shrimp.

2.) Lousiana Seafood- I first had this dish at Ruby Tuesday's and I had to try to make it on my own. After a little googling, I found the recipe. It was much more simple than I had imagined.
 
List of ingredients: Tilapia, Shrimp, Cajun Seasoning, Alfredo sauce
Side ingredients: Broccoli, Rice Pilaf, Roma Tomato, Shredded Cheddar Cheese
 
First, wash and dry tilapia. Season with your favorite creole seasoning. I used McCormick's Cajun seasoning. Heat oil in a medium sized pan on medium to high heat. Cook tilapia 5 minutes flipping once or until fish is no longer translucent and is flaky white. Meanwhile, I sautee shrimp with the same cajun seasoning. Heat alfredo in a small sauce pan on medium heat. This is one of those recipes where everything cooks fast and at the same time. Once tilapia is cooked, I plate it topped with shrimp and a drizzle of alfredo. Serve with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf topped with diced tomatoes and shredded cheese.
 
3.) Pasta Primavera- More pasta! This is a great recipe I found from the food network. You can find the recipe by clicking here! Be sure to use ingredients that you enjoy and know you family will eat. I add our favorite vegetables and use fettuccini instead of bow tie pasta. Campbell's also has a great spin to this recipe. You can find it by clicking here! To make it lent approved, use cream of celery instead of chicken.

For any pasta dishes, I usually make bruschetta to make it more filling for him and it's quick, cheap and easy!
If you have any meat-free meals you love and would like to share...i'd love to hear from you.
~Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment