Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So yesterday I went on a major cleaning binge and completely scrubbed my entire kitchen down, as well as the bathroom. I dusted every room, plus the ceiling fans. I washed windows and completely caught up on laundry. Every once in awhile, something will trigger a major cleaning extravaganza and I become totally motivated to make everything shine. This time it was a Tupperware container with rotten broccoli. I will never let broccoli spoil in my kitchen ever again. I was trying to pack in more leftovers when I found it in the fridge. I opened it to see what was inside and the stink almost knocked me over. I thought I would be able to just toss it in the trash, but soon the whole kitchen began to smell. I took the trash out, scrubbed and sanitized the can, and the smell still lingered. This was when the cleaning spree began. Soon my kitchen was smelling less like disgusting broccoli and more like clorox and chemicals. I guess the later is better, but not by much.

I've never really worried about the chemicals I was using to sanitize and clean my house, until I was washing windows and immediately after I see Molly with her little hands on the glass. I know the glass wasn't dry yet and I know those little fingers will make their way into her mouth. Is there an effective way to clean without using harmful chemicals? I've seen a lot of ads for Seventh Generation cleaning products and have even seen them is stores. They're are expensive, but isn't it worth it? Here comes the struggle between cost and conscience.


They are based out of Vermont and claim to be one of the country's first "socially responsible" company. The company derives its name from the Great Law of the Iroquois that states, "In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." On top of everything, they also allegedly give 100% of their profits to non-profit community, environmental, health, and responsible business organizations working for positive change.

I have also been seeing a lot of articles from websites and magazines about making your own cleaning products. Talk about cost saving. Recently I found an article from REAL SIMPLE online magazine. They suggest 66 All-natural cleaning solutions. I didn't know there was so much power in a lemon!

I may start a little hands on experimenting to see if the natural cleaning solutions really get the job done and can still be cost effective before I decided to invest in an expensive cleaning system.

~Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment