Thursday, August 19, 2010

Every artist was first an amateur. ~R. W. Emerson

Earlier today, I had a moment where I felt just like my mom. I've noticed, recently, how much I've been sounding like my mom and doing things I could see my mom doing. But today took the cake. I was watching the news when a clip came on about the bull that jumped into the stands at the bullring and injured forty-some people in Spain. I watched as the bull stomped through people awkwardly trying to find it's way out. I later read about the incident and discovered that the young bull had injured its horn and was bleeding profusely (well no wonder, right?) and had made two previous attempts to jump the fence. The animal was eventually brought under control and killed. In the news cast, they briefly discussed how this incident came amid a tense debate in Spain over the long standing tradition of bullfighting. They spoke about how a part of Spain has even banned the use of the sport. As I'm listening to them talk about all the controversy and how a ten-year old is in critical condition, I yell at the T.V., "Get rid of it!" How eerie it is to hear your own mothers words come out of your mouth.

Thank-you for riding out that roller coaster of a story with me. I hope it was worth it in the end.


In sounding similar to my mom isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just one of those things that makes you think you're there, you're a mom. It's like when you hear the engineer of a locomotive holler, "All aboard!" You know you've begun the journey and there's no stopping the train. Your ticket has been purchased, all necessary items have been packed, and the anxiety of change has more than set in.


Sometimes, I have to take a step back and I realize that I no longer am planning the trip, but the adventure has begun.  And how nice it is!


Instead of planning, I'm enjoying. I'm singing, I'm sewing, I'm reading, I'm laughing and I'm loving!



Oh and fall is coming :)

~Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment