Thursday, August 18, 2011

8 days of baking.

There are only 8 days left until my due date! Whether the baby actually comes in 8 days, only God knows. It seems so close, yet so far. I've prepared as much as I can. There's nothing left to clean. There's nothing left to organize. There's nothing left to buy. We're just waiting, and it's driving me nuts! I've become very anxious and am easily irritated. Realizing I needed an activity to keep myself and Molly bird busy until this new baby comes, I started baking. Baking helps calm my nerves and keeps my hands busy, and of course Molly loves helping and is always proud of her work. I know it's not going to help my weight gain issue, but in the next 8 days I'm planning on making 8 different (new and old) recipes and hopefully stock my freezer full.

Day 1

Apple Coffee Cake



This is a recipe I found on bettycrocker.com and make VERY frequently. It's crazy easy, I always have the ingredients on hand and it's always a hit. The recipe also has a little sentimental value to it for me, because I made it one time for a party and Marshal's late father complimented the dessert saying it rivaled his own mother's apple dumplings, which is a pretty big deal. So, I can't make it without thinking of him.

Prep Time: 15 min.          Total Time: 1 hr          Serves: 8

Ingredients:

Streusel Topping
2/3 cup Original Bisquick Mix
2/3 cup packed Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine

Coffee Cake
2 cups Original Bisquick Mix
2/3 cup Cold Milk or Water
3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
1 Egg
2 Medium Cooking Apples, peeled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
2 Tables Chopped Nuts

Glaze
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons Milk

Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. In smal bowl, mix 2/3 cup Bisquick mix, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until crumbly; set aside.

In medium bowl, stir together 2 cups Bisquick mix, 2/3 cup milk, the granulated sugar and egg; beat vigorously 30 seconds with spoon. Spread half of batter in pan. Arrange apple slices on batter; sprinkle with half of streusel topping. Spread with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining topping. Sprinkle with nuts.

Bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack 20 minutes. In small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over warm coffee cake.

A few things I do differently: First, I usually double the recipe......an 8x8 pan is never enough. Second, I use apple pie filling instead of fresh apples. I've made it both ways before and both ways taste great. The apple pie filling just adds a little extra taste. Third, I don't add nuts.




******************************************************************

Of course this was meant to be posted yesterday but I never got back to it, so I'll be back later today with todays recipe!
~Margaret


1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks for sharing some new to me recipes!!
    Molly looks adorable in the kitchen:)
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete